Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jesus - Is Using "His" Name Bad for Business?

In today's society political correctness seems to have gotten out of hand. A few examples: instead of "Merry Christmas", it's "happy holidays". Instead of "illegal alien", it's "undocumented worker". Instead of "terrorists", it's "insurgent". The list can stretch miles long of words or phases that have been changed. A few of these changes have been for the better, however, we have become so afraid of offending anyone, that things have gone too far from the intent. Say something, anything and you will offend someone, some group or some country. The PBR has been caught up in this trap of political correctness.

Through much research, I have found out that the PBR riders and personnel are instructed NOT TO USE THE NAME OF JESUS when addressing the public at the arena or on TV. Yes, you read that right. You can not say a prayer and say Jesus in the prayer. You can not say Jesus in an interview, if you do, it will not get on TV. Now, you can say God, because that is all encompassing. However, by using the name of Jesus, it narrows the definition and that may offend some in the audience. Political correctness run amuck. You say this can not be true. At first, I didn't think it was either. I didn't see how an organization that has roots in the small rodeos, where God and country are just as much part of the event as the bronc and bull riding.

I will give you three examples of exactly where this policy has taken place. The first is at the Iron Cowboy event, in February. Wiley Petersen (a PBR rider) was asked to say the opening prayer. At the close of the prayer, instead of saying "in Jesus name", he said "in His name". A lady on Wiley's fan page expressed her disappointment that he did not say Jesus. Wiley answered her and said that he was told not to say Jesus and if he was going to use Jesus' name, he could not say the prayer. The second example was in Des Moines. The PBR had given the fans the opportunity to hear the event on live audio. After Mike Lee won the event he was interviewed by Brandon Bates. His interview was never shown on TV. Why? During Mike's interview, he mentioned Jesus, twice, and made a reference to the cross. Now, the people in the arena could hear it, the people that listened to the live audio could hear it, but it never saw the light of day on TV. The third example is, we were at several Touring Pro events, Brandon Bates was the announcer. During the opening prayer, Brandon ended with "in Jesus name". However, at the BFTS events, Brandon says the prayer and ends the prayer with "in His name", he does not mention the name of Jesus.

Still not convinced that this is a policy by the PBR? I wasn't. After extensive research and talking to numerous sources, of which I will not name, I discovered this is indeed the PBR policy. I don't know if it is written, probably not, but it is a policy nonetheless. I guess we should not be surprised, considering all the political correctness that we see and hear everyday. With that said, I was still surprised. I have attended rodeos since I was a kid and the rodeos have always had the opening prayer and Jesus was a part of that prayer. However, money, politics and political correctness seem to be taking the place of Jesus himself.

I know why this is done, to "grow" the audience. Some might even say, what about the non-Christians? Well ..... according to polls taken in 2009, 76% of Americans consider themselves Christians. So, if you are just looking at the numbers, you are alienating more Christians than non-Christians. Some might say, well .... I am a Christian and I am offended by Jesus name being mentioned. What does it mean to be a Christian? It means to be a "follower of Christ". Who is Christ? Jesus. Why would you be offended if someone mentions the name of the one you follow? I wrote on my Facebook wall recently "some think the name of God/Jesus should be banned or censored, except when spoken in profanity". This is so true. Some people will go to the movies and hear God's name or Jesus' name taken in vain and think nothing of it, but you better not say it in a prayer, or it will offend them.

The PBR has bought into the idea that you can only expand your base, by taking away from your base. The PBR will only be successful as long as the base of fans believe in the PBR and what it stands for. Is it worth losing your base, to chase after some people that may or may not stay with you in the long run? We are fortunate to go to a number of live events. Two or three times during the event, a bunch of scantily clad girls, in high heals, come out and throw t-shirts into the crowd. Even being a man, I am offended by this, for several reasons. Does this matter to the PBR? Nope. In other words, you will do things that offend someone, anyone, at some point. Why alienate or offend a majority of the crowd, for only a few more fans in the seats? Is the PBR so desperate to expand the audience, that they are willing to risk losing the loyal fan base that built the PBR in the first place?

The PBR does allow the Riding High Ministries to use the arena to conduct a church service, usually on Sunday morning. There will be a special service after the event in San Antonio, this Sunday. I thank the PBR for giving the Riding High Ministries this opportunity. With that said, that should not and does not excuse the policy of silence when it comes to the mere mention of Jesus' name, at an event. I am not talking about the PBR allowing a rider or PBR personnel to take the microphone, during an event, and give a short sermon and alter call. Just simply allowing a rider to mention his Lord and Savior and it not get deleted from public knowledge.

I still enjoy the PBR and will continue to go to the events. However, just like in any family or business you will have disagreements. This is one of those times. Speaking as a fan that loves the PBR and is a Christian man who pays good money to go to many events, I find this policy by the PBR offensive and believe other Christians need to voice their opinion to the PBR to change the way they are conducting business.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely Tim. As much as I'd like to say I'm shocked by this policy (official or unofficial) I'm very sad to say that I'm not surprised at all.

    In general, I don't understand how/why our country allows Jesus' name to be taken out of everything if 76% of people identify themselves as Christians. It blows my mind!!! If that statistic is even remotely accurate then we need to take the responsibilities as Christians to make changes so that we can get Jesus' name back into prayers and "God" in the pledge. I hate to get on a soap box, and the Lord knows I'm sooooo not a model Christian even on my best days, but I feel very passionate about this topic and always have--ever since I was a senior in high school and led the prayer before a football game. I was warned that technically I could get in trouble for even saying a prayer of any kind over the loudspeaker, but I did it anyway...with pride and love for my Father and His Son.

    okay...I'll get off my soap box now...I know I'm preaching to the choir!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carley - It seems the vocal minority have taken over in this country. They seem to get offended at just about anything that is said and done when it comes to the Christian faith.

    On May 31, 2010 a pastor, from Winston-Salem, NC, was relieved of his chaplaincy prayer duties before the North Carolina House of Representatives. What was his major offense? During the opening prayer, he prayed in Jesus name.

    Christians, even in this country that calls itself a Christian nation, are mocked, ridiculed, scorned and silenced, by the loud minority. They don't seem to have the guts to do the same to the Muslim faith. If they did, they know what would happen to them and everybody around them. People say that Christians are not tolerant, yet, Christians are among the most tolerant people there are. That is why the loud minority can get away with so many things, because Christians know they will be persecuted and they accept that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me get this straight. Cameras stalk riders who are known for reacting badly after a ride in hopes of seeing them throw a fit, nude photos of Shane Proctor get aired during an event, but it's the name of Jesus that needs to be censored? The PBR's priorities and morals must be seriously out of whack -- or they've willing allowed them to be made so by their sponsors. How disgusting and disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    I'm not saying the PBR decision is right or wrong. You can argue either way. But with all due respect, I think that some of your logic is wrong.

    Even if 75% of Americans are Christians, estimates indicate that probably half of those who identify themselves as Christians do not attend church. (Some pastors question that even that many attend.) Of the Christians who DO attend church, my guess is that maybe as few as 50% are accustomed to using Jesus's name frequently, thanking Jesus out loud, etc. That is more common in certain parts of the country and certain denominations than it is in others. Some of that is due to denomination, some of it is due to how people were raised, what their parents did, etc. Some people focus their Christianity more on God. Some people even focus more on Mary. It's not wrong, it's just the way it is. And although it may seem strange to you, or may seem that these people are not real Christians, many of those people CAN feel uncomfortable with the frequent use of Jesus's name, not because they judge it as wrong, or don't believe in Jesus, but because it's not their own habit or upbringing. Some of the most devout and amazing Christians I know, do not publicly speak frequently about Jesus.

    Personally, I was not raised to frequently thank Jesus out loud, or even in private. I was raised in a pretty conservative Episcopal church in a small town in the northeast. I have, for part of my spiritual life, been a member two more demonstrative Christian churches that were more overt in their celebration of Jesus and Jesus's name, so I have a comfort level with that, however I understand that many people don't.

    None of what I just wrote addresses the rightness or wrongness of the PBR's decision, but I can understand why they might have made that decision. They want to appeal to the broadest possible audience. That includes as many "kinds" of Christians as possible. The decision may not appeal to you and may offend you as a Christian whose Christianity is very focused on celebrating Jesus's name, and it might be difficult for some riders,I can see that.

    And as to the "loud minority" -- who do you mean by that? Right or wrong, you might be the minority!

    I don't want to get into an argument - just my thoughts on the matter. And I found Wiley's prayer extremely moving, with out without Jesus's name.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours Truly/ Catherine - First off, no need to worry about arguing. I started this blog site to say things that are on my mind and to freely discuss/debate. Unlike some other blogs, I will not delete comments just because someone disagees with me.

    Now, on to addressing your comment. I do find it odd that out of all I wrote, you seem to zero in on the one paragraph that you did. Although I attend church regularly, church attendance is not a requirement of being a Christian. No where in the Bible does it say that. Even if someone is not accustomed to saying or hearing Jesus name out loud, I don't understand how any Christian can be offended by having Jesus name said. If someone calls themself a Christian, it should not "offend" them to simply hear the name of Jesus spoken. As I stated in my blog, some people don't seem to mind the name of God or Jesus taken in vain, but they do mind if it is in a prayer.

    You gave several facts, but you even said yourself that by your "guess" these are some numbers. The PBR does not mind if Jesus is spoken at the Touring Pro. It's when you get to the BFTS that it is a problem. Obviously, money, politics and political correctness are taken into account more in the BFTS than in the Touring Pro.

    The "loud minority" is the secular progressives that want God taken out of our soceity. As someone said recently, "they took God out of our schools and now our prisons are full". Secular progressive's want everything grey, not black or white, everything is ok, no right or wrong. They do not speak for a majority of this country, but because they are vocal, they seem to speak for the majority.

    Shannon K's comment above was completely on the mark. The PNR does not mind offending some. Again, I have to sit through things that men and women find offensive. I think that the few that may be offended by the mere mention of Jesus' name can deal with and just be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim~

    I had read this a couple of days ago, and just yesterday I had a conversation with a lady and your blog came to mind, and I discussed it with her. She was saying that she is so amazed at how this Country seems to have forgotten how and why it was established. How we are supposed to embrace our differences and accept each other for being different, but yet live in harmony. Yet, we seem to be moving away from this more and more. It’s as if the Majority is supposed to become “PC” so the minorities don’t feel uncomfortable. Yet, I’m not really sure who the Majority is anymore!

    I was not taken to Church much as a child, yet my mother being Southern Baptist was very strict in her religious and moral beliefs, and raised me with those values. I have always considered myself a Christian, regardless of whether I “attended” church or not. I feel like my religion is more about how I live my life and conduct myself, not where I physically go. I know people that disagree with this, and that’s their prerogative. I believe that your religion, regardless of what it is, is your personal relationship with your God, and you should establish that in the manner that suits you. I have friends that attend Church frequently, and some not at all…Yet, they are all Christians. I consider myself very spiritual. I have never been offended by other people’s religion, beliefs, or their “God”. I have many Jewish friends and have discussed various aspects of their religion, and have never felt uncomfortable or been told that they were uncomfortable with mine.

    I’m just wondering “who” is having a problem with saying “Jesus?” Are there people that are really complaining? Or, are the big Corporations just protecting themselves and trying to be careful, so they aren’t offending anyone? Is there just a list of items that all PR agencies are suggesting just not be mentioned on a televised broadcast? If someone is speaking on a personal level, say they just won an event, and they wish to say thanks to their “God”, how can we censor that? Why would we? Who exactly is being offended? I’m really curious. I wonder if it’s more about being pro-active, in case someone would be upset, or if there really is someone getting upset.

    I feel like there are so many instances lately, where we as a Nation are becoming more and more censored. Every time you turn around, someone is supposedly being offended! This is especially hard for me at this time, as my husband is currently deployed in Afghanistan. He has been gone two months and has another 10 months to go. It seems disconcerting to me that so many people are putting their lives on the line, and their families are sacrificing so much for our freedom, and yet back in the States…we’re worried about offending someone by saying “Jesus.” We are beginning to behave like the Countries that we are at war with. We claim we want to give those Countries’ citizens democracy, yet we seem to want to reduce our own citizens to censorship.

    Just my opinion, thanks for listening. :)

    ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim

    If you have a free minute, I'd like you to email me at: cody.thrasher@rantsports.com

    I couldn't find your email anywhere on your blog, so I figured I'd give you mine.

    Thanks.

    Cody Thrasher

    ReplyDelete