Saturday, May 15, 2010

Put Away the Armor - New Guidelines for the PBR Comment Section and Forum

Last night we took some time to go see a movie, Iron Man 2. It was a fun movie, with explosions and high tech gadgets. I found myself really wanting the Iron Man suit, the armor. The more I thought about it, the more I found similarities with the PBR comment section. There have been many artillery shots thrown from ALL sides. We use the high tech gadgets (computers) to leave comments and have had to use armor or some special protection with all the personal attacks that have been thrown around.

The PBR looks like they are finally taking control and have come out with some new guidelines. These new "rules" or guidelines are now posted on the TeamPBR forum. I assume they will be posted on the main page of the PBR website, or mentioned on the PBR comment section. I, for one, am glad that this step is being taken, and I fully support this change. The comment section has taken on a nasty tone. There have always been a few comments thrown out that should be deleted immediately and in many cases were. However, there have been comments recently that have been personal attacks directed at or to the commenter's themselves. It is one thing to cheer for or admire your favorite, now there seems to be more idolizing and worshiping. If anything is said, that seems to be "negative" (not nasty or a personal attack) there seems to be more of an attack mode that turns into nasty confrontations between the fans (commenters).

One of the new rules state that "do not post anything that is abusive or that personally attacks others". It does not state to not write something that is not positive, just don't make it a comment about something personal. The comment section is about "personal" opinion. Those opinions will not always be positive. One of the problems, from my point of view, is that if your comment is not positive, then you get personally attacked from some. That's were it crosses the line, and as I said, I am happy that this is being addressed.

There are some new rules that I do find puzzling. On the TeamPBR forum, they have friendlier exchanges and talk about many issues, including personal information. According to the new rules, you can not share about any personal information, either on the forum or the comment section. This personal information includes yourself, or anyone else. This is done all the time on the forum and sometimes on the comment section. Will the PBR delete posts when people are sending prayers about what is happening in their personal life? Will they delete posts if someone announces a new born as a proud parent or grandparent? Will the PBR consider these and other similar posts, personal? That is the problem sometimes with new rules, how are they interpreted?

Although I agree that changes were necessary, the big question now is .... Will the PBR enforce the new rules? How will they enforce them? Will they only delete a post or account, if people complain, or will they be proactive and delete when something is seen by them? If they only delete when someone complains, will the rules be enforced evenly? There are many other questions that need to be answered before I think we will know how this will all play out. If the PBR actually enforces the new rules, I believe it is safe to put away the armor, as there should be fewer explosions.

1 comment:

  1. I found the part about personal information confusing too. They stated that personal info was including but not limited to names and addresses...I'm okay with that. But I'm afraid to congratulate Sanpow on her new grandchild and I'm afraid to post anything else under the "So what's going on in your life..." thread. I like getting to know about other fans and I think it would be hard to have a forum w/no background at all on any of the commenters. And I'd really like to know and pray for other fans if they're going through something difficult--but I'm afraid they won't be able to ask now.... I think the idea of revamping and enforcing the rules is great, but I hope they give us a little more clarification soon...

    ReplyDelete