Monday, May 3, 2010

"Look out I'm coming back" - Q & A with Reese Cates


Reese Cates, the 2008 PBR rookie of the year, looked comfortable as he mulled around after the Touring Pro event in Cleburne, TX, talking to fans. Although Reese is only 21, he seemed at ease in meeting with people and when the subject of bull riding is brought up, the excitement and tone of his voice elevates to a point that he seems so desperate to get back on a bull, even though he had bucked off his previous and only bull of the night. I had the chance to talk to Reese after the event and in a laid back and yet enthusiastic manner, he answered the questions.



Q. What is your boot size and brand that you like best?
A. Ariat is the brand I like best. They are one of the sponsors of the PBR and the boots I am wearing were given to me by Ariat. I think the boot size is 8 1/2 or maybe 9.



Q. What is your favorite, non-western movie?
A. The Hangover (comedy). I saw it last year and it was really funny.


Q. Some say you live in Arkansas, some say Texas, which is it?
A. I'm actually from Arkansas, that's where I was born and raised. I moved to Carthage, Texas to go to college. My hometown is and will always be El Dorado, Arkansas. But I do live in Carthage now.



Q. Regarding the Daisy Rookie of the Year buckle, do you wear the buckle or do you keep it in a case?
A. I wear it all the time. As a matter of fact, I am wearing it now (see picture of the buckle that was taken that night). It's the biggest accomplishment, as far as my bull riding career that I have. I am awful proud of it, but then again, I am hoping that 10 years from now it's still not the biggest accomplishment of my bull riding career.



Q. Do you remember your first PBR BFTS event?
A. I think you can ask anyone that has ever been to one and they will give you the same answer. I remember just like it was yesterday. In was in Duluth, Georgia, and it was the first event of the 2008 season. Actually it was on New Year's weekend, so it was a few days before the new year, so it technically was at the end of 2007.


Q. What happened to this famous van that you and some others were driving all around in?
A. We still have it. It is still sitting out at the ranch at Clayton's (Williams) house. When we got it, it had about 130k miles on it and we put over 100k miles on it when we drove it around. We start it every now and then, just to make sure it still runs, and sometimes we'll take it out for a short drive.


Q. Do you have a traveling partner?

A. Kolt Donaldson and I travel together. He was in the race for the rookie of the year, the same year I was. We're best friends and have been since high school rodeos, and he goes to college in Carthage as well. With all the traveling we do, it's definitely more fun to have somebody to travel with. Cody Ford is another one of my good friends, but he's from Oregon. Occasionally he'll fly down a stay a month or so in Texas and we'll travel together.


Q. Is there anything, in particular, that you want people to know?
A. Look out I'm coming back!

1 comment:

  1. Another great interview! I hope Reese starts riding consistently again and gets back on tour!!!

    ReplyDelete