Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Simply Amazing - Q & A with Cord McCoy


Professional Bull Rider, Cord McCoy, is not only a bull rider, but one of the nicest guys you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. Many know him as the smiling red head from Oklahoma. However, recently millions more know him as one of the two "cowboys" from The Amazing Race. Cord, along with his brother Jet, are currently one of the four remaining teams in the "race around the world". I have seen every season of the show, and I must say, Cord and Jet are the funniest, nicest team that has been on the race. Not only that, they just may win! I had the pleasure to talk to Cord for a few minutes and ask him some questions. I hope you like the questions, more importantly, I hope you like the answers.

Q. Just between you and me, did you win The Amazing Race?
A. Well .... We are still in there.

Q. From what I understand, you don't have a TV. So, when you entered the race, had you ever seen the show?
A. No, when I was leaving Cheyenne last year, I got a call from my brother Jet and he asked me if I was interested in doing the race. I said heck ya. It was a chance to run around the world with my best friend and brother. So, we went to WalMart and bought the DVDs of all of The Amazing Race seasons and sat down and watched them all. Then we applied for it, by sending in bios and a video. They called us a month later. We spent a week in California, trying out for the show. There were 16,000 applications. It was quite an honor just to get on the show.

Q. You are know throughout the PBR as Mr. Congeniality. Is there any thought to once you give up bull riding, going to work for the PBR in a PR capacity?
A. Oh ya. I think I do alot of PR for the PBR already. Each event I go to there is PR involved. It's our livelihood, whether you realize it or not, every time you get one more person sitting in the stands, that's more money we ride for. Just letting people know about our sport and our way of life, I feel like it's all the bull riders responsibility in a way.

Q. What is your favorite bull?
A. My favorite bull, that I never got to get on was Mossy Oak Mud Slinger.

Q. What is the worst bull or bull you don't like?
A. Reindeer Dippin. He cost me $15,000 one time and $65,000 another time. Me and him are not old buddies.

Q. I understand you are getting married. Have you guys set a date?
A. Getting married November 13, coming right up.

Q.So, is the marriage going to help or hurt the career?
A.(laughter) She's a sweetheart. I definitely went over my head, when I got her. Sarah played college basketball, grew up on a ranch driving cattle, so we have about everything in common. She is about the sweetest girl I ever ran across.

Q. What's your boot size and favorite boots?
A. Size 8, Ostrich, Ariat brand

Q. If you were to pick a favorite movie, non cowboy and non bull riding what would it be?
A. I like Tombstone. Oh wait a minute, that has cowboys in it. Wow that's a tough one. I like Braveheart, or Gladiator. I like hero movies, especially when you watch everything they sacrifice. Now that's a hero to me.

There you have it folks, the first interview. I hope you enjoy and there will be hopefully many more interviews to come.

4 comments:

  1. Great interview!!! :-) Can't wait for the others...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, just as I said I wouldn't be commenting, here I am :). So fun to hear from Cord -- we've just got to get him back on the BFTS soon! You asked some good questions and got some great answers, especially about signing on for the Amazing Race and about Cord's lovely lady. Any chance you could take Leah's job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I have a sneaky feeling the Cord and Jet come out ahead in the race. I hope so anyway.
    Since I have spent the last 31 years with an Okie I have a soft spot for all of the Oklahoma bullboys. No favorite - just all of them.
    We will be Wichita on Saturday night and I just figured out we will be near Ardmore, OK on June 4th for the Pro Tour event. Tulsa in July - - - wow that 3 in 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margo, we are staying at the Holiday Inn in downtown Wichita. Maybe we will see you at the event on Saturday night. We have met some GREAT PBR fans and you sound like a great one too.

    ReplyDelete