Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy, Healed and Ready To Go: Q & A with Matt Bohon


Matt Bohon is cowboy through and through. I found him laid back and easy to talk to. Not only was he gracious enough to give me a interview, but I think we could have both pulled up a couple of chairs and sat and talked for hours. Fortunately for him, later in the evening, he was riding a bull for 89.50, instead of sitting in a chair. On a bull is where he likes to be.

Q. I understand that you changed addresses recently?
A. Yes, actually I moved to Dublin, Texas about a year ago.

Q. In the last year, not only did you move, didn't you get married as well?
A. Yes. We dated for about five years, long distance. She is from Canada and I am from Missouri. She rodeos as a barrel racer and that is why we ended up in the Stephenville area, so she could have her own life on the weekend, while I'm gone. There are times she goes with me on the road as well.

Q. The wedding was in San Antonio, wasn't it?
A. Yes, My wife picked San Antonio. She really likes the city and wanted to get married on the Riverwalk. From the time that we talked about getting married to the time we got married, was 7 days (at this point my jaw dropped and all I could say was, WOW). We had a nice quick ceremony. Her parents, my parents, short and sweet. We may decide at some point to have a bigger ceremony down the line, but we both just wanted to get married, then.

Q. So, marriage better than expected, about what you expected?
A. (with a big smile) Better than expected.

Q. I was in San Antonio last year, when you had your wreck on Spit Fire. Do you remember much or is it a blur?
A. You know, I remember everything up to the ride. I remember talking to people before I got on and everything prior to me getting on that bull and then I'm pretty foggy from then and until about 10 days after that.

Q. When you are trying to come back from an injury, is it more mental or physical?
A. You know, physically, that part was fine in six weeks. I broke my jaw, cheek bone,and shoulder blade and had a concussion. I started riding again in six weeks, but hindsight is 20/20 and I should have sat out the rest of the year. Mentally, I wasn't nervous, but my reaction time and everything just wasn't there. I wasn't mentally capable of picking up where I left off, even though I thought I could. But it was a good challenge and I am 100% on both physically and mentally.

Q. What was your first BFTS event and do you remember much about it?
A. It was Billings, in 2004. You know, I didn't have time to be nervous about being there. I had plane troubles, and it was just a long day. I got to the event 30 minutes before they started and I was the third rider and borrowed all of my gear. As it turned out, being rushed, it was a blessing in disguise. I rode my bull and coasted that weekend. It was an eye opening experience being at that level, compared to lower level events.

Q. What do you guys pay in entry fees, on the Touring Pro and what amount do you get while at the BFTS events?
A. This year, on the Touring Pro, I haven't paid more than $215 for an entry fee. It depends on how much there is for winnings. When you ride on the BFTS tour, the money you get depends on the number of days of the event. For a one day event, we get $150, for two days $250 and for three days $500. There is no entry fee on the BFTS tour.

Q. Are we going to see you back on the BFTS tour?
A. I got to one event this year, Albuquerque, as an alternate. I am in a good position right now with the amount of money that I've got won on the Touring Pro division. I just need to win some more money to secure a spot on that level.


NOTE: Matt will be an alternate at the BFTS event in Des Monies this weekend.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks saraht. I have had a blast doing the blog. I still have the interview with Reese Cates, which will be posted on Monday. Also, we are going to the BFTS event in Wichita and of course, I will have an event review. I may have to break it up into several blogs. i am thinking about several things to blog about before we leave next week.

    ReplyDelete